Solar Savers is a pioneering program supporting pensioner households to install solar with no upfront costs.
About Solar Savers
We have taken the hard work out of finding an affordable and trustworthy solar installer so you can have confidence in getting a quality solar system for your home.
The Solar Savers model ensures all participating households are at least $100 in front at the end of every year (and even further in front at the end of the loan period). We will ask you about your appliances and how you use energy, so you can be sure your household is well-suited to solar and that your solar system will pay for itself in energy savings from day one.
25 Victorian councils have come together with support from the Victorian Government’s New Energy Jobs Fund to run the Solar Saver program.
Who can participate
Solar Savers is supporting pensioners in participating council areas to install quality, reliable and affordable solar.
Contact us if you:
- own your home
- have a Government Pension Card (aged or disability)
- are usually at home from 9am to 5pm
- have average to high electricity use (contact us if you’re unsure)
- don’t currently have solar panels on your home
Why is Solar Savers for pensioners?
Our research shows that pensioners are an ideal group to install solar as they:
- use most of their energy during the daytime (when solar panels make electricity)
- have high home ownership rates
- spend a higher proportion of their income on energy costs
- benefit from reduced cooling costs
- are interested and support solar energy
How it works
We make solar simple by doing the planning for you. Here’s how it works:
- We check that solar is right for you, making sure that your solar system will pay for itself in energy savings from day one
- We arrange an on-site quote for a solar system so you know the costs before agreeing to take part
- You approve the quote
- We organise for the solar system to be installed
- We support you to understand and get the most out of your new solar system
- You gradually pay for your solar system over ten years
Getting you a quality, affordable solar system
So you can be sure you are getting a high quality, affordable solar system from a trusted installer, we’ve checked solar companies against our seven-point checklist:
- quality of solar panels
- quality of inverters
- quality of warranties
- quality of workmanship
- ability to install solar systems across participating councils
Paying for your solar panels
You pay off your solar system over 10 years with an affordable loan. At the same time, your solar system saves you money on electricity bills.
Our model makes sure that your electricity bill savings cover the cost of the loan, leaving you at least $100 in front at the end of every year. For example, with repayments on a 2kW system costing around $420 per year ($35 per month), we check to make sure solar will save you at least $520 per year on your electricity bill.
There are three main ways Solar Savers households can pay for their solar systems.
Bank Australia low-interest loan
For households participating in Solar Savers, Bank Australia is offering low-interest loans to help install solar. Bank Australia is a 100% customer owned bank that is committed to responsible lending.
Your own finance
You can also organise your own finance or add the cost of the solar system to your mortgage. You are not required to choose the Bank Australia loan to participate in Solar Savers.
Special rates charge (closed)
A small number of households have been invited to trial paying for their system via their local council’s special rates charge.
Find out how to participate in Solar Savers